One of the goals of UTMB Health is to support and promote technology transfer and commercialization of research discoveries. The Technology Commercialization Program (TCP) provides seed funds to support the commercialization of discoveries created at UTMB Health. The funds for this program are made available from the UTMB Health President’s Royalty Fund. Through a partnership between the Chief Research Office and The Office of Technology Transfer, this program is usually offered twice a year, in the fall and spring. The distribution of funds will be handled by the Office of Sponsored Programs.
- All UTMB employees, students, staff, and trainees are eligible to submit an application to the UTMB Health TCP.
- The product to be developed and commercialized must be based upon UTMB-owned Technology and have the potential to provide meaningful healthcare benefits or viable commercial product(s).
- A UTMB Invention Disclosure (ID) Form describing the Technology must be submitted to the Office of Technology Transfer 15 days prior to the due date of the pre-proposal.
A project can be awarded up to a maximum of $50,000 for a year. Awards will range between $10K and $50K. An awardee will be eligible for a competitive renewal during the next funding period. Committee members will base renewals on the milestones achieved and adequate progress shown during the first funding period. Awards are anticipated to be made by June 21, 2022.
- Preference will be given to proposals that focus on market opportunities and describe strategic paths to the commercialization of the product.
- The TCP award does not provide funds to support basic research or faculty salary.
- We encourage an inter-disciplinary approach. Special consideration will be given to proposals which include students, staff, and trainees in all four schools.
- Awardees are required to attend and present project updates in TCP-affiliated seminar series and workshops designed to enhance the culture of innovation and entrepreneurship at UTMB Health.
Application Instructions and Grant Preparation are included here.