Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
Our mission: Here to support the use of animal research when conducted in a responsible, humane manner for medical and scientific research.
The IACUC is an Institutional Committee composed of scientists, veterinarians, graduate students and lay persons, and is charged with the following tasks:
- Review all proposed activities related to the care and use of animals;
- Review all proposed significant changes regarding the care and use of animals in ongoing activities;
- Review, at least once every six months, the facility’s program for humane care and use of animals;
- Inspect, at least once every six months, all of the research animal facilities including animal study areas;
- Prepare reports of its evaluations conducted;
- Make recommendations to the Institutional Official regarding any aspect of the research facility’s animal care program, facilities, or personnel training;
- Review, and, if warranted, investigate concerns involving the care and use of animals at the research facility;
- Authorization to suspend an activity involving animals in accordance with the specification set forth.